Sponsors

 photo 8e821ffd-bdb3-44b0-8df1-888119dd6850.jpg

Vacation Protection Style: Box Braids

Well after dealing with this cold winter, I had to get away once spring hit! And what better place to go on vacation than FLORIDA! I was super happy to be able to relax in Miami, and N was super excited to go to Disney World! So leave it up to me, to start packing the night before we leave lol. In the middle of packing I said to myself "What am I going to do with N's hair?" I wanted a style that will last a long time, so I can be hair-care free! So I picked Classic Box Braids, this style took me 3 hours to complete, and lasted 2 weeks. I wasn't able to take pics before we left because (last minute me, was in a rush lol) but I took plenty of pics during our vacation.

WARNING: PIC OVERLOAD




 I divided the box braids into 2 sections, and braided each one. Then I added a hair bow to the ends.


Goofing off in front of a hair salon. Can you tell which one is N?


Yee-haww Get'em Cowgirl!! FYI: she didn't fall off :)


Instructions on how to make box braids:

1.) I started with clean moisturized hair.

2.) I began in the back of her hair, by making a row of boxed parts approx, 1 inch apart.

3.) Then, I made a single braid in the box. I continued steps #2-3 until I was finished with her entire hair.



In this picture, I co-washed her hair (using Organix Coconut Milk Conditioner) after she went swimming and made 4 braids for her to sleep in.


The next day, I removed the 4 braids and she was left with a cute curl style.



As you can see it was starting to frizz up :(




For Disney World,  I created a Princess Bun (sock bun) for N while she dined with Winnie & Friends

 I removed the sock (after the sock was showing, because of the fast rides) and made a single braid. The beautiful flower is from Fatemeh! She has a beautiful selection of accessories, click here to check out her site.


I created this style by simply making a two-strand twist going down her hair.

And we lived happily ever after
THE END :)

6 comments

Nikki | Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I love the versatility of box braids! I *tried* box braids last night on my two year old...she sat still long enough, but I just can't get the braids to look right without banding the base. I'm still learning about how to do my daughter's hair and I really want to stop banding the base of her hair, so how do you get the braids to stay so nicely? Is it all from practice? I don't have issues with her sitting for hair time, I just get frustrated when I can't do what I want to do lol, so I took out what I did and did flat twists on the top half of her head and ended the twists with braids and a barrette. I'd love to sit and tackle the box braids before Easter (I'm stubborn and determined lol) because I think they are so cute!

Precious Henshaw | Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Very cute styles! You all looked like you had a great time!!



precious-curls.blogspot.com

amandak23k | Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Awww how fun!! Looks like you had a great time!!!!!! I tried box braids on my daughters but their braids shrink up so much it looks silly. Without beads how can you make them hang?

Kandy | Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Thanks everyone! We had a great time, too bad its over :( lol

@Nikki- Great question, I have styled a few different hair types, and I found that with finer hair its almost impossible to get the braids to stay without using some sort of rubberband, clip, beads or bows to stop the hair from unraveling or braids becoming loose. When N was younger her texture was thinner and she had a looser curl. So I always added something to the ends. As she got older her texture changed and became thicker and more tightly curled. Then I was able to leave braids in without accessories. Maybe your two yr old's hair will change as it gets longer and you may be able to go without banding.

@Amanda- Are you braiding their hair while wet/damp?
If not, I would try stretching their hair out a bit, before braiding, by using the banding technique. Just divide their hair in sections and add multiple ponytail holders going down the entire section. Leave it in for a few hours before styling and this should help it from shrinking. Also snaps and bows can help the hair hang. It seems like you may need to use these things to help weigh their hair down, to prevent it from shrinking.

momof2 | Thursday, April 21, 2011

Very Cute! I don't think that I could get my daughter to stay still for 3 hours!

Kandy | Thursday, April 21, 2011

LOL I didn't think I could either, but with their favorite movie, snacks, and breaks you might be surprised LOL

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment :)

Click On The Buttons To Follow Me!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you like what you see, and would like to donate, any amount would be greatly appreciated