Sponsors

 photo 8e821ffd-bdb3-44b0-8df1-888119dd6850.jpg

I Made My Own Hair Shea Butter Mix


I checked a few forums and the women talked about how they make their own conditoners, deep conditoners, and even a Shea Butter mix. I purchased the ingredients and made my own Shea Butter mix.

Benefits of using Shea Butter:

-Shea Butter provides moisture to dry and damaged hair, leaving it healthy and shiny.
Because it's rich in vitamin A and E.  

-Shea Butter soothes dryness, repairs breakage, and mends split ends.

-Shea Butter absorbs quickly and completely into the scalp without clogging pores, leaving a greasy residue, or causing a buildup of oil or dandruff.

-Shea Butter helps heal a variety of scalp problems, including dry scalp, psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.

Benefits of using Coconut Oil:

-Coconut Oil adds shine and softness to hair follicles and prevents hair breakage and dryness. 

-Coconut Oil can nourish each hair strand by penetrating deep into the hair shaft. 

-Coconut oil is specially ideal for dry hair, which is more prone to hair breakage and damage. 

-Coconut Oil helps to prevent hair breakage, split ends, thinning, excessive hair fall, dandruff, etc.

Benefits of using Vitamin E Oil:

-Vitamin E oil helps improve circulation to the scalp which will promote hair growth.

-Vitamin E Oil can also be used as a preservative when mixing with other products.

This mix is great as a sealant after you apply a moisturizer. But I must warn: This is can be heavy on the hair especially if your hair is fine. N's hair soaks it right up, and it leaves a nice shine. I only use a little bit and I rub it on my palms and it melts in my hands. I don't use it daily but every other day.
I purchased the ingredients on Amazon.com, and I realized that it is cheaper to make your own, rather than paying for it, plus shipping and handling from a company. You will actually find that alot of the ingredients are found in many Organic hair products.
Ingredients:
Raw Unrefined Shea Butter
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Vitamin E Oil
This mix has been a wonderful product that I add to N and my hair routine. I have been using this for a few months now, and I noticed some growth on N, I even made tubs of it for my Mom and Sisters and they have noticed a improvement in their hair as well. As you all may know, I was a former Hair Grease-Addict lol. This is my replacement and it's much healthier than grease. It doesn't contain all of that junk found on the back of hair grease, that you cannot pronounce. Everything is basic and can be used for your entire body, not just hair.

Directions:
1.) Melt the Shea Butter on the stove. Use low heat and remove once fully melted.
2. Pour the mix into a empty jar and place into the freezer for 10 minutes.
3.) Remove from the freezer and add the Coconut Oil, and Vitamin E Oil to the jar.
4.) Use a hand mixer, or spoon, and mix until it becomes creamy.
5.) Let it sit overnight and whenever you are ready to use, just scoop some in your hands and it should instantly melt in your hands (due to our body temp.)

* Do you make your own hair products?

20 comments

UntrainedHairMom | Thursday, July 28, 2011

I want to make this...I just make an essential oil mix and a hair mask mix every now and then

Miche'al | Thursday, July 28, 2011

I make my own deep conditioners with ayuredic products. I like being able to use the ingredients I know work with my hair! Thanks for the recipe!

Blessings

Boysandgirlsnaturalcurls | Thursday, July 28, 2011

I'm gonna have to try this where do u purchase the items? I make my own hot oil treatments but thats about it!

yayamama03 | Thursday, July 28, 2011

I use a shea butter mix for my girls too! Its shea butter, Vit E, rosemaryEO, and castor oil. I make a different for my youngest with everything from before but add tea tree oil , peppermeint oil, and coconut due to her dry scalp!

Tracey-BBH | Thursday, July 28, 2011

I love shea butter mixes.I am just working on getting mines creamier. I typically use coconut oil and grapeseed oil in it. It is great for hair and skin...and it seals the moisture too!

Tracey-BBH | Thursday, July 28, 2011

I love shea butter mixes.I am just working on getting mines creamier. I typically use coconut oil and grapeseed oil in it. It is great for hair and skin...and it seals the moisture too!

allthingscuteandgirly | Thursday, July 28, 2011

This is the same thing I use but with castor oil too!!

Kandy | Thursday, July 28, 2011

@Carol- I purchased the ingredients on Amazon.com, I had free shipping too :)

Im glad im not alone with using a shea butter mix. Next time I will add more stuff to the mix, thanks for the great ideas/tips.

BCG's | Thursday, July 28, 2011

GREAT!! I've been making my shea butter mix for 7 months now. LOVE IT! I mix my shea butter with organic coconut oil, jojoba oil and extra virgin olive oil. It works wonderfully for me and both of my blessed curly gurlz. My hubby and son use it as well. I also like to use it as a skin moisturizer.
(theblessedmomof3)

Unknown | Friday, July 29, 2011

omg i love this, i wanna make my own so bad but didnt know how, thanks you are the best!!!!

Tii | Friday, August 19, 2011

Thanks for this post. I've been looking up recipes for DIY hair products and I'm going to this one a try. I like it because it is simple and won't take much time or money to make.

Anonymous | Saturday, November 12, 2011

I make this also. I add a little jojoba oil, peppermint oil, glycerin and some fragrance oil to the mix.

Question for you: why do you melt your shea butter?

Kandy | Saturday, November 12, 2011

WHen I purchase the shea butter, it is in a raw block-form. So in order to mix the other ingredients it has to be liquefied.

Anonymous | Monday, November 14, 2011

What are the measurements of each ingredient?

Kandy | Monday, November 14, 2011

Well, I never measured it, I always eye-balled it. But I roughly use 2 cups of raw shea butter, 1 cup of coconut oil, and 1 teaspoon of vitamin e oil.

Unknown | Thursday, May 03, 2012

Definitely will try this. Trying to move us into all natural products at home...well me, maybe two thirds of my items will be natural...lol. Thank you for sharing!

Nicole Day | Monday, May 14, 2012

I just ordered some shea butter from Butters-n-Bars (thanks to blessedmomof3). I will be mixing it with jojoba oil, coconut oil and evoo for my little curly-dry head :) We are currently using Shea Moisture products and EVOO on the scalp, but I think this mix will replace the purchased moisture product. Thanks for the tips!

monique | Saturday, January 19, 2013

Can you only purchase these items online or can they be in stores?

monique | Saturday, January 19, 2013

Can these items be found in retail stores?

Kandy | Saturday, January 19, 2013

Some like the coconut oil, and evoo is found in grocery stores. But majority of these can be found in health food stores or online.

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment :)

Click On The Buttons To Follow Me!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you like what you see, and would like to donate, any amount would be greatly appreciated