Sponsors

 photo 8e821ffd-bdb3-44b0-8df1-888119dd6850.jpg

Homemade Shea Butter Mix

I recently shared this picture of N on Facebook making her own Shea Butter Mix. 


I posted a year ago on here, how to make a basic Shea Butter Mix.

I have never stopped using shea butter since then. 
I pretty much use it daily, or every other day. 
Whenever I moisturize N's hair, I make sure to use a product to seal the moisturizer in, and this is the main product I use. 

Now since our original post, I continued to do research on different ingredients that help kinky/curly hair. I chose these ingredients based upon the needs of N's hair. I found several really good ingredients, that target her needs, and have added them to our mix. Below is the list of all of the ingredients and main benefits of each one. Along with the steps on how to cook up your own batch. 

Ingredients:
Shea Butter 
Coconut Oil 
Extra Virgin Olive Oil  
 Castor Oil 
Peppermint Oil 
Aloe Vera Juice
Jojoba Oil 
Argan Oil 
Mango Oil
Vitamin E Oil 

There are tons of different oils, make sure to do your own research on them, and don't be afraid to throw in different things. 

Benefits:

-There are tons of benefits for each below. But I'm listing the main reason why I chose this ingredient.

Shea Butter: Rich in Vitamin A & E which helps to prevent dandruff.

Coconut Oil: Helps retain moisture.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Improves strength & elasticity.

Castor Oil: Helps with balding or thinning hair. 

Peppermint Oil: Stimulates blood flow to hair follicles thus aiding in growth.

Aloe Vera Juice: Makes hair soft & prevents frizz.

Jojoba Oil:  Known to keep hair moisturized.

Argan Oil: The fatty acids help strengthen brittle hair. 

Mango Oil: Shields against UV rays.

Vitamin E Oil: Preservative.


Instructions: 
(measurements for 8oz jar)

Shea Butter (1/2 lb)
Coconut Oil (1/2 cup)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 Tablespoon)
 Castor Oil (1 Tablespoon)
Peppermint Oil (4-5 drops)
Aloe Vera Juice (2 tablespoons)
Jojoba Oil (1/2 teaspoon)
Argan Oil (6-7 drops)
Mango Oil (8 drops)
Vitamin E Oil (1/4 teaspoon)


1.) Melt the Shea Butter on the stove. Melt on low heat, and remove once fully melted.

2.) If you have a jar of coconut oil, leave it closed. Place it into the sink with hot water. Let it sit until it melted. (Melting it like this is better than the microwave, which kills some of the good nutrients.)

3.) Add the melted coconut oil, to the melted shea butter. Then mix until blended. 

4.) Next, add all the other ingredients. 

5.) Pour the mix into a empty jar/container, and place into the freezer for 10 minutes.

6.) Remove from the freezer, stir, and place mix into the refrigerator. 


7.) Let it sit for several hours, until solid. It may be hard. So
when you are ready to use it, let it sit out for a bit at room temp. 

8.) Once you scoop some into your hands, rub them together and it should melt instantly due to your body's temperature. Then apply to hair & scalp.  

Note: Shea Butter (without adding these ingredients, has a shelf life is approx 2 months.) So make sure to either refrigerate your products, or use them within the time frame.  

To make a creamier batch of Shea Butter. (alternative)

Complete step number #5, but leave it in the freezer for 20 mins. 

 Use a hand mixer, or spoon, and mix/whip until it becomes creamy.

 Let it sit overnight.
Enjoy!


7 comments

Anonymous | Thursday, November 08, 2012

Can you pretty please tell me where you purchase your jojoba, aloe vera juice, argan oil, mango oil, vitamine e oil please? You mentioned your purchase the shea butter online can you also provide the link or seller you purchase from? I am always scared when ordering online b/c I don't want to buy the wrong kind or get something bad and put it in my son's hair.

Kandy | Saturday, November 10, 2012

Hi Cedoria, I purchase my shea butter online at Amazon.com from a seller named: HalalEveryDay Here is the link and I order the box. http://www.amazon.com/Unrefined-Shea-Butter-Grade-Ghana/dp/B002F018PO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1352525288&sr=8-5&keywords=raw+shea+butter I purchase the argan oil from here http://www.goinnatural.com/shop.html the aloe vera juice from Walmart in the vitamin section. Then I purchase jojoba & vitamin e oil from here https://www.vitacostrewards.com/BZ8z9Od I hope this helps happy shopping :)

Shautel Walker | Saturday, December 08, 2012

I might try adding peppermint..what a good idea..I've been making my own shea butter mixture for a while now...

Shautel Walker | Saturday, December 08, 2012

Oh yeah and I have a huge container of ALoe Vera juice, so thanks for another way to use It :-)

Raw Shea Butter | Friday, September 06, 2013

Shea butter is an extract from the shea nut seed of the tree called shea or karite tree.

Thank you for shearing......

Anonymous | Wednesday, December 04, 2013

What you happen to sell this mixture??

Anonymous | Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I only mix shea butter, castor oil. Extra virgin oil & casor oil but in large quantity. Hope I can use for a long time

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment :)

Click On The Buttons To Follow Me!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you like what you see, and would like to donate, any amount would be greatly appreciated